Thursday, July 24, 2008

Ciao, Italy!

Spent yesterday in Venice and I think I will need to return in the winter or spring in order to enjoy it fully. We walked out of the train station and the whole square was filled with people (tourists like ourselves) and I couldn't even see the canal! We walked to St. Marks square, saw the pigeons and then hopped on a water bus. What we were expecting was a 30 minute tour of the canals and a return to the square. The ride lasted an hour and a half, as a safe and prudent estimate. We saw parts of Venice I am assuming most tourists don't- like the industrial district and cemetary. We finally returned to the stop, got off and headed back to the station to head out. My impression of Venice isn't one where I need to return there immediately, but I know that isn't giving it a fair go because of all the damn people. I'll go back, just not during the summer.

We spent last night with a friend of Jim's in Vicenza just an hour train ride from Venice. Now we are on the train to Paris to see Elodie, Jim's sister in law's niece and her boyfriend; and Bob Roll.

No comments: